Thursday, October 26, 2006

Rich 3D on browsers

Today, I have started my first recognition in the world of rich 3D web applications. What I am interested in are open source technologies that enable 3D rendering of complex scenarios on browsers, for purpose of conceptual modelling.
As far as I went to understand, the available options are based on two technologies, AJAX and Flash. On the AJAX (XML) side, I have discovered that there exists a consortium (Web3D) that is working on a specification, called Virtual Reality Modelling Language (VRML), now superseded by X3D.
The Ajax3D organization is currently focused on mixing AJAX with X3D-based open technologies. In the Ajax3D site, there are some showcases that can be played after having installed a browser plugin. I have installed the Flux player, that can be found at MediaMachines, but other available plugins can be found here.
A database of available tools and applications for X3D can be found here.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home